Recreation PLUS After School Program (Passages to Learning, Understanding, and Success) is more than a traditional after-school open recreation program. Instead of simply opening our doors and supervising open-ended activities, we have expanded opportunities for children to learn new things from adult leaders. From Beading and knitting, to Cooking and Basketball, we have special small-group activities available after school. These activities are available to all school-age children at a very low cost. For those who do not wish to participate, adults are on hand to help with homework and monitor activities. Our goal is that Recreation PLUS children and youth will have a positive impact on our world through their expression of internalized self-worth, positive values, and life skills. Rec. PLUS fosters these qualities by:
- Respecting the uniqueness of each individual and the value of choice
- Offering opportunities to learn and practice responsibility, positive communication, and problem-solving skills
- Encouraging play and creativity
- Nurturing an extended-family-like atmosphere within a safe yet relaxed environment
- Recognizing individual and community strengths
- Providing inter-generational activities
All children and their families are welcome to attend Recreation PLUS. Children under six years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Recreation PLUS is open from 4:00 pm until 6:00 pm on all days school is in session. New this year: On Wednesdays to accommodate the school district’s early release day we will be open from 3:00 to 6:00 pm.
This program is made possible through a generous grants from Bank of the West, the City of Yachats and many individual donors.